Saturday 18 April 2009

Wenger - My players have found the answers


Arsène Wenger believes that his squad have answered all the questions asked of them this season.

The manager put his faith in youth for the current campaign and the policy misfired when Arsenal lost five of their first 14 Premier League fixtures. The knives were out for Wenger and his players with accusations ranging from a lack of strength in depth to a lack of team spirit and desire.

Arsenal have responded to their critics in some style, reeling off 18 games without defeat in the League and advancing to the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup and Champions League. Wenger acknowledges that the media and fans were right to question him and his team – but he is satisfied that they have found the answers.

“I have been questioned but that is normal when I do a public job,” said the Frenchman.

“I never came out and said it's a complete scandal that people question me. I know where I want to go and I do it as I have the freedom to go where I want. I believe that if we turn things around it is a credit to the players because they have shown the mental strength to cope with the pressures on the
pitch.

“Now we are in the position where we just want to finish the job in the three competitions that we are in - that means secure a Champions League position, try to win the FA Cup and win the Champions League.

“No, no [it didn’t upset me when I was questioned]. Listen, like everybody I prefer it when people say I am good rather than I am rubbish. But I am long enough in the job to understand you cannot as well ask for people to say when you lose the games that you are absolutely fantastic.

"I just think as long as the basics at the Club are good and promising I can make a difference between the present and the future and take a distance with that.

"The present situation was not fantastic but I knew that the future for the Club will be very, very good. Why? Because we do not need to rely on anybody. We have a good young team. If you take this team and look how much investment it cost you will be surprised compared to the other teams who play at our level.”

No comments: